There is power in being able to relate

IMG_3019

I remember years ago when someone would tell me that their loved one was diagnosed with cancer, I would feel sadness for them but as horrible as it sounds the sadness was fleeting. It did not affect me. It is a different reaction now. When someone tells me that their loved one was/is diagnosed with cancer my eyes immediately swell up with tears and my heart begins to ache. I tell them if they need someone to talk to, prayers, anything, I'm there for them. Their sadness is now my sadness because I know what they're going to be going through. I'm aware of what their loved one is going to be going through.

I remember when my mom told me on one of her worst days that she was thankful to be going through this; because she now knew what others have gone through battling cancer. I knew what she meant but I did not want to understand it, I chose not to understand it because I was bitter watching my mom suffer. It was not fair. She did not deserve to suffer and be in the pain that she was. One year later and I�ve chosen to understand it because she knew something that I did not know. There is power in being able to relate.

Not just in sickness but in our everyday lives. In knowing that someone knows what you�re going through because they have gone through it as well. It�s an instant connection. It is the resounding, YES! That�s how I feel! It�s human nature to not want to go through things alone, to want someone to really get it, to understand, and not just say they understand. Because no matter how hard you try, unless you�ve gone through someone else�s experience you�ll always be a little detached.

There is comfort in knowing that you are not alone and that often makes the burden a lot less heavy to bear. Because sometimes you want more than just someone to listen but someone to really understand. There is power in being able to relate.

Something my mom knew then and something I know now.

IMG_3020

I hope that you all had great weeks and that you have wonderful weekends! ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch at The Shelby

Bellagio Gardens.

Goodbye to summer.